Friday, September 2, 2016

The Better Ones

ideas4sustainability.wordpress.com
Imagine if we were all better than others---if each single individual on the planet were "better" than the next one. Who'd be the "others"? Who'd be the "next one"?

It seems that people around you have become your competitors. I don't know what the competition is all about but they're there trying to compete with you, trying to be better than you are. I'm not sure if I'm any good---definitely I don't think I'm any better than the next guy---but people seem to be always comparing themselves with me.

This guy comes to me and asks how my business is. And then he tells me how he did his business with a hint that he did it better than how I'm doing it. I look at him thinking whether he is there to share some tips on how I can be better at what I'm doing, but no. He doesn't sound like that. He's there to prove he's better than I am.

And he talks like I'm so interested about his ideas and I am just too eager to hear everything he has to say. So I try to figure out---did I ever say I wanted his ideas or ask him to teach me how to do things? As far as I know, I didn't. So what is he doing here? But he just keeps talking anyway, like an idiot.

Almost everyone is out there to prove he or she is the better one. And I guess that's how society is oriented these days. It starts in the family, school, community and the workplace. There is this prodding, an urgency to prove you're better than the other guy. That's why people talk like that. They look for someone to put down, tell him that he's not doing things right, and then magnify their greatness over him.

They love telling people how things ought to be done.

Try it one time. Listen to how people talk. They often talk like they're the sweetest, nicest, wisest and kindest person in the world. Worse are those who talk like they're the only successful guys in the solar system.

And even if they are indeed, so extremely successful, I'm not interested. So what? I'm not impressed. What always impresses me are meek people who often just listen to people---and there are really successful people who are meek like that. I'd love to listen to them tell their stories.

I like folks who talk about how right other people are. Do you know someone who is like that? Here's what I mean. You're reading the headlines over a cup of coffee in a corner of a cafe and this guy approaches you. Umm, let's say he's your friend. It so happens he finds you there and sits across you. Then he starts:

"Hey! You look stunning (without being sarcastic or flattering). How are you? I heard how you did that project in the community! How were you able to put the other guys together and work heartily on that project? That's definitely some leadership! I also once did a project like that but I'd like to know how you did it."

Or, let's say he's asking about your small bible study group. And I emphasize the word small. "Hey, how's your bible study? I've been wondering how you keep your group intact, loyal and persistent. I appreciate people like that, and you manage to train those guys to be like that. What's your secret?"

I'd like to be that kind of person---considering others better than myself, interested about other people. It's dead tiring to hear someone who loves talking about himself and his achievements and how good he is. Worse, how he is better than you are--although he may not say it outright like that.

Ever wondered why when praying, you never hear God audibly talk back to you? He just listens. He's interested about what you have to say. He gives you the option to listen to him, and if you do, that's when he tells you things.

May God help me never to be among the better ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. I'll get back to you as soon as I go online.