Monday, November 21, 2016

Can You Really Trust Politicians? I Mean, Really? (Why I Think They're All the Same)

I always hope I'm wrong. Really. Because I've grown more skeptical about politicians and government officials. They're there to use us and make life harder for us. For one thing, they can't think of ways to make things simpler. Instead, they seem to deliberately make things more difficult for us.

Like, it makes them happy to see us suffer. Just look at traffic and how people line up and wait long hours in government offices.

It all began after the EDSA People Power Revolution (which was far from being a real revolution). Imagine---after staking our lives on what we thought to be genuine change, we saw everything slowly go back to normal. Sometimes, it seemed everything only got worse.

We risked our necks to oust a cruel dictatorship while Cory Aquino was safely in a convent in Cebu "praying." Ramos and Enrile were safely hiding inside Crame while we civilians were out facing the tanks and jets. Can you imagine "heroes" hiding behind civilians?

After Marcos fled, Cory came in as president, very conveniently, without difficulty. After some days, I saw one public official given the natural resources department. Wait a minute---this guy used to be a Marcos guy and said to have amassed great wealth from the same office when he was still with Marcos. That's what I heard from some critics. Then Cory made him secretary of DENR? Why? I mean. He was a Marcos guy.

Then the Mendiola Massacre happened. And I thought military cruelty ended with the dictatorship. And several other activists were summarily executed after martial law. What did Cory do? Nothing, because the killings went on.

Later, I saw Ramos and Enrile in good terms with the Marcoses again. In fact, Joseph Estrada, who was a staunch Marcos loyalist, gained popularity so that he later became president. The old Marcos guys were back in power. What happened? I mean, why did they let them come back?

Later, Ramos himself let the Marcoses come back, along with the body of the late Marcos. It's the good old days, once more. What happened to the EDSA Revolt where we civilians risked our lives? And then Imelda became Congresswoman.

There are people who are naturally much liked by people, but there are those who are liked because they corrupt people with bribes. But here's how you can be liked naturally by most people without trying hard to. Click here. 

Much later, I started hearing Enrile say the Marcoses didn't do anything wrong. He was even always defending them. If the Marcoses were not at fault, then why bolt away from them? Why start the coup in Camp Aguinaldo?

Then you see them at election time together, members of the same party, both the ones who fought against and the ones who sided with Marcos. And then they reshuffle, change parties, but you see the same thing. They say that's how democracy works. That's what they call pluralism.

I say, that's how they've all been fooling us.

They put up a show as if they're fighting each other, but when they're off cam, they all share the same agenda. They're not moved by principles but by personal agenda. And if they see an alliance that will serve their agenda or ambition, they'd join it no matter if it's an alliance of crooks.

And then the alliance breaks up (because selfish ambition often creates friction rather than permanent alliance) and one would need a powerful backup to stay in power. That's when they call people to rally behind their "good cause." And people mindlessly answer the call, because most of them treat politics the same way they treat showbiz. It's a personality cult rather than fighting for the right principles.

And amazingly, people come to their rescue. They risk their lives, dying for their favorite politician---their "idol." They march out there along with their families and kids, getting run-over by a police vehicle or clobbered to death by a cop gone crazy, not for a cause, but to back up their pet politician. Like the Marcos burial issue. They march out there either because they love or hate Marcos. Worse if they do it because they are pro-Aquino.

And then traditional politicians ride on the issue. They talk like they have all the right to denounce corrupt people---and many believe them. But on closer look, you'd find how these people are also charged with corruption or hide skeletons in their closets. You can't trust them. If they say anything, it's always for the good of their ambition (always) and they're going to use you.

Use you!

I laugh when I see die-hards always defending their dear Duterte at all costs---like the guy can never make a mistake. It's a personality cult again instead of people being patriotic citizens. I support Duterte because God told me in the bible to submit to the governing authorities, but I criticize him when he's wrong. I go for principle. Wrong is wrong. A lot of times I see myself in Senator Richard Gordon, although I'm seldom talkative in person.

Lots of church pastors play right into the hands of these politicians. They try to somehow influence politicians and people in high places and use them for their church ministry---not realizing they're the ones being used. Pastors make crooked politicians look good and being in the company of these politicians make these pastors look accomplished church leaders. You see, they use each other.

The common denominator is ego-trip. Jesus never ran after politicians or smelled their butts.

I respect government leaders, but I never rely on them. I very, very seldom believe them, except after a thorough scrutiny of what they are actually saying. Often, I get disappointed.

People who support personalities rather than principles, you are of all people to be pitied. You are willing fools.

I still vote every election---just to please God. It's my duty as a citizen. And I pray for elected officials. But I watch out carefully about what they do and say. Never trust a person once he's in power, that's my personal rule. Power and money can transform a person, either for the better or for worse. I've seen a lot of meek guys turn monster just because of money and power.

Now, can anyone tell me I'm wrong about politicians? Please do and explain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message. I'll get back to you as soon as I go online.